Assignment 1: Content Review
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and 2–3 paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question into the document, so your Instructor can see which questions you are answering.
- Explain how the rates of childhood obesity in the U.S. have changed in the last 30 years. Then, identify and briefly describe three factors that have contributed to the prevalence of childhood obesity in the U.S.
- Describe two physical and two psychological and/or social effects of obesity on children.
- Identify and explain three specific ways in which a child’s cultural and/or socioeconomic status might influence his or her likelihood of being overweight or obese.
Discussion: Nutrition in Schools
Many people agree with this approach, arguing that childhood obesity is a serious public health issue that threatens the wellness of children for years to come and demands a strong response. Others, however, disagree, arguing that banning certain foods in schools infringes on personal freedom and does not address the root problems of childhood obesity. In this Discussion, you will consider your own opinion on this issue in light of this week’s Learning Resources as well as your own experiences. Reflect on the following:
- Do you think public schools should ban or restrict the sale of unhealthy foods in an effort to reduce childhood obesity? Or is this approach too extreme? Why?
- What concerns or arguments might parents, students, and school staff voice if your opinion on this issue was implemented? How would you address these concerns?
With these thoughts in mind, follow the instructions below to post your response to this Discussion topic.
Post an explanation of your opinion on whether or not the sale of junk food should be restricted or banned in public schools. In addition, identify at least one concern that might arise if your view was implemented at a school, and explain how you might respond to this concern. Be sure to use the Learning Resources to support your thinking.
Assignment 2: Designing a Health and Wellness Program for Children
In this assignment, you will apply this knowledge toward the design of a program aimed at promoting healthy nutrition and preventing and/or treating childhood obesity in a setting of your choice. You will present a description of this program in a brochure aimed at parents.
To begin, choose a setting in which to implement this program (elementary school, after-school program, camp, youth group, day care, etc.). Then, consider the following:
- What are the goals of this program?
- What types of activities, instruction, or strategies will you implement as part of this program? Identify and describe at least three specific components.
- Why do you think this program will be effective?
Now, create an informative brochure that introduces this program to parents and includes responses to the three questions above. You can create your brochure as a Word, .PDF, or .PPT document. Be sure to integrate pictures, graphics, and formatting as you see fit.
Assignment length: 3–5 pages or 5–7 slides