The professional educator is committed to the highest levels of professional and ethical practice, including demonstration of the knowledge, skills and dispositions required for professional competence.
A. The professional educator demonstrates commitment to high standards of practice through:
1. Incorporating into one’s practice state and national standards, including those specific to one’s discipline;
2. Using the Model Code of Educator Ethics and other ethics codes unique to one’s discipline to guide and frame educational decision-making;
3. Advocating for equitable educational opportunities for all students;
4. Accepting the responsibilities, performing duties and providing services corresponding to the area of certification, licensure, and training of one’s position;
5. Reflecting upon and assessing one’s professional skills, content knowledge, and competency on an ongoing basis; and
B. The professional educator demonstrates responsible use of data, materials, research and assessment by:
1. Appropriately recognizing others’ work by citing data or materials from published, unpublished, or electronic sources when disseminating information;
2. Using developmentally appropriate assessments for the purposes for which they are intended and for which they have been validated to guide educational decisions;
3. Conducting research in an ethical and responsible manner with appropriate permission and supervision;
4. Seeking and using evidence, instructional data, research, and professional knowledge to inform practice;
5. Creating, maintaining, disseminating, storing, retaining and disposing of records and data relating to one’s research and practice, in accordance with district policy, state and federal laws; and
6. Using data, data sources, or findings accurately and reliably.