Throughout the course we have examined strengths based off the StrengthsFinder assessment. You learned about how and why you approach work in your own unique way, as well as how and why others approach their work in their own unique ways. Additionally, you learned the importance of complementary strengths when building teams. Although we all have strengths, we all have areas of opportunity that need coaching and development as well. In this assignment, we will finalize our analysis and understanding of StrengthsFinder by examining how to train and develop employees based on their areas of opportunity.
In Rath’s StrengthsFinder 2.0, a description section for each strength is provided, as well as a section called “Ideas for Action” and “Working with Others.”Use the Ideas for Action or the Working with Others section to help you complete Assignment #3.
Imagine you are a manager of a small department whose overall performance has been slowly declining over the past few quarters. You have chosen 2 of your team members to develop a strategy to improve your department’s performance. REMEMBER: These 2 employees have diverse strengths and their own unique way of approaching their work. They will most likely have diverse approaches to this task.
Write a two to four (2-4) page document OR create a two to four (2-4) minute video in which you:
- Choose ONE strength for each employee (i.e. Analytical & Relator)? How did each of your 2 employees approach the task based on their unique strengths (i.e. What did the Analytical employee focus on to develop the strategy? What did the Relator focus on to develop this strategy?)?
- Based on each employee’s approach (using Rath’s Ideas for Action), how will you train and develop each employee (i.e. In what areas might the Analytical employee need training? In what areas might the Relator employee need training?)? Be specific in your response.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- For papers: Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- For videos: Be prepared (this is a not a conversation it is a presentation), be professional (appearance, clean background, no external noise or activity.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the decision-making process management uses to develop viable courses of action to a variety of management situations.
- Explain the multiple aspects of the managerial planning process and the application of various business- and corporate-level strategies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in management concepts.
- If writing a paper: Write clearly and concisely about management concepts using proper writing mechanics. If making a video: Speak clearly and demonstrated a professional presentation.