Week 2 Case Vignette Analysis #1
Throughout the course, various theories and concepts related to assessment of emergency and crisis situations will be presented. The purpose of this assignment is to provide an opportunity for learners to demonstrate the ability to analyze crisis and emergency situations, applying appropriate assessment, intervention, and treatment plan options in practical scenarios, articulating clear rationale for the decisions made.
To complete Case Vignette Analysis #1, assume you are in the role and case study scenario described below.
- ROLE: Mental Health Professional in a rural community with no behavioral health center, safe house, or in-place support systems.
- CASE STUDY: Carol has been your client for 4 sessions and recently disclosed the abusive nature of her 25-year marriage. She alleges her husband has struck her and she is fearful of his rage episodes. She also suspects that he is viewing child pornography on their computer, but has been unable to substantiate. They have a daughter with 2 granddaughters ages 6 and 4. Her husband is a well-respected businessman in the very small, geographically isolated community and frontier county of less than 2000 residents. He is also a Scout leader and buddies with the County Sheriff. The couple attends church semi-regularly, belonging to a dominant patriarchal religion in the area. She is unable to go to church authorities with her suspicions and complaints as is the expected practice, because the last visit to her religious counselors resulted in intensified abuse afterward and a reprimand by the religious leader for being a poor wife. Carol calls you at 10:00 pm one Friday night with terror in her voice and informs you she has left her husband, but knows he will come looking for her. Her personal funds are limited, and she is driving a high-visibility vehicle. From the panic noted in her call, there is little question that she feels she is in danger.
In responding to the case presented, implement the following:
- Provide your assessment using the ABCDE Assessment Model in the Collins text.
- Describe your detailed six-step, single-session crisis intervention using the intervention model.
- Outline your ongoing crisis management and intervention goals.
Include a minimum 7 to 8 pages, not including APA formatted required title and reference pages; submit APA style in-text citations throughout the work as well.
The basic parts of a paper should also be included; these are the opening, introduction section, with a precise thesis statement, the body of the paper with clear, discernable headings formatted to APA style levels of heading where appropriate, and a conclusion that restates the thesis and summarizes the major points of the entire paper.
Collins Text Reference:
Book Title: Crisis and Trauma : Developmental-Ecological InterventionAuthor: Collins, Barbara G. / Collins, Thomas M.Publication Info: CengageISBN: 9780618373710Book Title: Strategic Interventions for People in Crisis, Trauma, and DisasterAuthor: Everstine, Diana / Everstine, LouisPublication Info: Brunner/Mazel, Inc.ISBN: 9780415950718
Collins, B. G. & Collins, T. M. (2005). Crisis & trauma: Developmental-ecological intervention. Houghton Mifflin Publishing.
Everstine, D. S. & Everstine, L. (2006). Strategic interventions for people in crisis, trauma and disaster (rev ed). Routledge Publishing.