1. Which of the following were permanent features of Egyptian civilization?
A. rulers who claimed to be divinities
B. the construction of elaborate royal tombs
C. the control of foreign trade by the rulers
D. All these answers are correct.
2. Scholars think that the appearance of a female ruler in Egypt
A. represented a change in social attitudes toward women in society.
B. signaled a political crisis.
C. occurred during periods of prosperity and peace.
D. was a normal event, as men and women shared political power.
3. During the New Kingdom, Egypt
A. tried a religious experiment.
B. underwent a short-lived revolution in the arts.
C. became a great power, dividing the Near East with the Assyrians and the Hittites.
D. experimented with new economic policies.
4. Egyptian religion was characterized by all of the following EXCEPT
A. the belief in immortality.
B. the worship of the ruler.
C. a single national deity for the state.
5. Which pharaoh brought about the Amarna revolution?
6. Which of the following was an aspect of the Amarna revolution in Egypt?
A. Egyptian art became more rigid and formalized.
B. Egyptian religion took a permanent new direction.
C. A polytheistic system of religion emerged.
D. Aten was raised to a new level above the other deities.
7. The most famous work of Egyptian literature is
A. The Epic of Gilgamesh.
B. An Argument Between a Man Contemplating Suicide and His Soul.
C. the Story of Sinuhe.
D. the Hymn to Aten.
8. The Instruction of Amenemope belongs to which literary genre?
C. philosophical treatise
D. wisdom literature
9. The model for the step pyramid of King Djoser was
A. an original Egyptian design.
B. borrowed from the Mesopotamian ziggurat.
C. a variation of the earlier pure pyramid design.
D. adopted from a Chinese design.