The purpose of this assignment is to think about the speech as a whole. Write a paper (A) describing, (B) analyzing and (C) evaluating a speech. Each analysis paper should be written in essay format. Papers should be a minimum of 2-3 Pages (APA Format, Double Spaced, Times New Roman 12-point Font, 1-inch margins). You will be graded on content and how well you understand the course material, reasoning and how well you synthesize material, as well as grammar and mechanics.
Items to address in each Analysis Paper:
- In the introductory paragraph briefly explain who is speaking and why.
- In the body of the speech include:
- – Describe the context of the event; an explanation of the speeches historical background; an explanation of the primary and secondary audiences of the speech; and an explanation of the structure of the speech. § What information is used? Facts? Opinions? Inferences? Is the information adequate to meet the needs of the audience?
- – Analyze at least three strategies used by the speaker to meet the needs of the audience at the event (audience analysis). § Who is the audience, what are the goals of the speaker and how does he or she seek to achieve them? Are their multiple audiences? Why is the particular audience important to the speaker?
- – Evaluate the success of the event; what the purpose of the speech was; if the speakers’ purpose was achieved and how do you know if it was achieved. § How is language and emotion used to reach the audience? Is the speaker successful in establishing the appropriate tone?
- In the conclusion discuss what you took away from the speech. How did the speaker impact you? What did you take away from the speech?