Career Development – IT Project Management Networking
Networking is a vital part of any successful job search. This assignment walks you through some productive networking resources and activities. By now, you are creating a foundation for your successful job search. You have evaluated your strengths and weaknesses against the requirements needed to succeed in your profession. Now you will take what you have learned and actively join and participate in your professional network.
To complete this assignment, begin with resources in CSU-Global’s Student Career Center, and then explore social media sites, such as LinkedIn or Facebook, to establish yourself as an active member in a project management network.
- Go to the CSU-Global Career Center and review the following content:
- Effective Job Search Strategies: Tools to Assist in the Job Search, Networking in the Student Career Center
- Networking [videos]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=JzNBrZ94YI0and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nUm9hKFQTM
- Building a Brand
- Career Coach in the Student Career Center.
- Use the Internet, and your work on previous career assignments, to research the Project Management Institute (PMI); www.pmi.org. PMI has local chapters around the world. Find information on a local chapter on this website. Visit the local chapter’s website. Research social media sites for both PMI and the local chapter.
- Join LinkedIn and, using all of the information you have been gathering in your Career Portfolio, build your LinkedIn profile. For this assignment, make sure your profile is 90% complete. You will submit a screenshot of your profile as an addendum to this week’s assignment. For additional information, see these LinkedIn resources:
- An Introduction/Overview of LinkedIn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_aXKxRPvE8
- Creating a LinkedIn Profile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMPoYosybY
- LinkedIn Etiquette – http://mashable.com/2014/01/18/linkedin-etiquette/
Develop a well-written two to three-page paper that includes:
- A description of the role that networking can play in your professional life.
- A summary of your “professional brand,” including how you can keep your professional brand consistent across social and professional platforms
- A description of a professional organization in your degree field that you would like to join. What are the benefits of becoming a member of this organization?
- Discuss the steps you have taken, or the steps you will take, to develop a professional connection with a mentor or a career coach. Discuss how you intend to use social media to sustain your professional network.
- In addition to your paper, include a screen shot of your 90% complete LinkedIn profile.
Follow CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements style and review the library material concerning APA style before turning in this assignment.